Forest Hill Deck
Front and rear landscaping at a semi-detached home in the Forest Hill area.
This landscaping project was part of a large whole home renovation that we completed under our initial estimate. Our client’s surplus budget allowed us to design and build a new locally milled white cedar deck and completely replant the front yard.
SCOPE OF WORK
We fully landscaped the front-sloped boulevard with native plants and built a new deck in the rear yard. The new deck was constructed from locally sourced, small-milled white cedar. This material has a much lower carbon footprint compared to western red cedar that needs to be shipped across the country.
INCREASED WASTE DIVERSION
- Greening Homes created a waste diversion plan before we started this project to identify potential waste/recyclable materials the project would produce
- We built the new rear deck over the existing paving stones to avoid disposing of them
INFORMED MATERIAL SELECTION
- All framing lumber (where possible) is FSC certified
- All decking is small-milled and locally sourced eastern white cedar
- Native plants were used exclusively in the front yard
EFFICIENT USE OF RESOURCES
- LED lighting has been installed throughout the new decking to provide efficient lighting at night when entertaining
HEALTHY INDOOR AIR QUALITY
- We put special effort into making sure all doors and windows of the home were closed during demolition and all wood cutting
SMART TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM SITE
- This site was a five-minute walk away from the St. Clair subway station and allowed the majority of the Greening Homes crew to take the TTC
- Trucks and other vehicles were used for moving materials and tools when they were required (not for day-to-day commuting)