St. Lawrence Condo
Renovation of a two-bedroom condo unit in the St. Lawrence area.
This master ensuite bathroom renovation now offers our clients a spa-like environment right in their own home. We upgraded efficiency of the fixtures, added new waterproofing systems under the tile and updated the space with a modern aesthetic.
SCOPE OF WORK
We removed the old vanity and plumbing fixtures and donated these to Habitat for Humanity. We installed new sound dampening insulation in the walls using recycled denim (UltraTouch) and drywalled the room with a 97% recycled drywall product. The entire new tile floor and custom shower was laid over a Schluter Ditra waterproof membrane.
A beautiful new custom FSC vanity with quartz countertop was installed, the finish on the vanity and paint throughout the bathroom are low to no VOC. All of the caulking, glues and adhesives used in the bathroom are also low to no VOC.
INCREASED WASTE DIVERSION
- Greening Homes created a waste diversion plan before we started this project to identify potential waste/recyclable materials the project would produce
- The existing bathroom vanity, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures and other salvageable interior elements, like doors, were carefully removed and donated to Habitat for Humanity. The tax receipt for the donation was given to our client.
INFORMED MATERIAL SELECTION
- FSC certified and NAUF (no added urea-formaldehyde) custom bathroom vanity
- Quartz countertops
- Schluter Ditra waterproof membrane under all bathroom tile and shower walls
- New cork flooring
- A 97% recycled drywall product was used throughout the bathroom
- All framing lumber (where possible) was FSC certified
- All trim and interior doors were FSC certified
- UltraTouch recycled cotton denim batt sound insulation (bathroom walls)
- California standard, “lead free” plumbing fixtures
EFFICIENT USE OF RESOURCES
- Low-flow toilet and shower system
- New LED lighting using Aroni pot lights in the ceiling
HEALTHY INDOOR AIR QUALITY
- Non-toxic soldering flux was used on all plumbing components
- EcoLogo certified no VOC adhesives and caulking
- No VOC primer and paints
- New Energy Star rated bathroom exhaust fan
SMART TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM SITE
- This site was a 5-minute walk away from the closest TTC stop and allowed the majority of the Greening Homes crew to take the TTC
- Trucks and other vehicles were used for moving materials and tools when they were required (not for day-to-day commuting)